Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Genographic Project, part 4

Honestly, it was probably pretty silly to think that we *wouldn't* want to know about my father's mother's family's history, or that the Genographic Project's DNA tests wouldn't seem worth it to do both sides of the family. So now that my parents and I have all been dazzled by the maps that came as results of the first round of DNA testing, we're now testing my father's Mitochondrial DNA to find out about his mother's history.

My father keeps saying that these results will be the same as his original results, since both of his parents were from Mexico, but I have to remind him that just because they both ended up in the same place (Mexico) and came from the same place (Africa) doesn't mean their ancestors necessarily took the exact same route.  So we're doing the cheek swabbing today, the package will get sent to The Genographic Project people tomorrow, and then a few weeks after that, we should know for sure (or as sure as science can get us right now) how my paternal grandmother's ancestors moved about the world millions of years ago. Exciting!  (Personally, I'm hoping it's different from my paternal grandfather, just so we have new stories and a different map. Diversity!)

What about you? What do you think about all of this? Is the testing something you'd consider, or have already done?

No comments:

Post a Comment